Monday, January 17, 2005

Heart of Ohio

Mary and I are on Route 3 on our way back to Columbus from Mount Vernon. We met my Dad for a nice long leisurely lunch at Bob Evans. It’s a nice half way point between Columbus and Wooster. It is bitter cold out today. We woke up to 5 degrees and it has since lifted to around 15. Brrrr. These backroads in Ohio are a lot of fun to explore. Rather than taking the highway it’s nice to go through the many small towns you would otherwise miss. Some of the names: Bangs, Centerburg (which since 1830 has been recognized as the Heart of Ohio),centerburg

Sparta, Galena, and Sunbury. For Ohio’s recent bicentennial celebration the state commissioned an artist to paint one barn in each of Ohio’s eighty-eight counties with the bicentennial logo.

DSCF0014

We’re driving by a Rails-to-Trails bike trail right now. What a fantastic idea. When I was biking a lot more frequently I used the bike paths a lot. It feels so much safer than trying to share the road with Harry Hummer and his pals.

Mary and I considered going skiing today at one of the local hills near Mansfield. I’m glad we decided against (or slept in too late!) because we’d be freezing right now. Last night Mary was wondering aloud how we’d go skiing once the baby arrives. She figured we could just strap the baby to her back on the way down the slope. She asked me what I thought of the idea. Oh, Mary! Unless I unknowingly married the Danish Downhill Champ I am not allowing my one year old to be strapped to anyone’s back on their way down a hill. She won’t be a boring mother, that’s for sure!

We have been listening to Kayne West a lot recently. He is excellent. One of his first rhymes to catch my ear is “She couldn't afford a car, so she named her daughter Alexis.” Ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home