Monday, December 04, 2006

An overdue Monday update

I've heard from some friends recently who have been asking how Mary is doing, how Louis is doing, and how I'm doing so I'll finally spend some long overdue time with this site to give some updates.
Mary is growing out with baby number 2. Her due date is March 21, 2007, just five days after Louis' second birthday. While her feet swell up and she is having more difficulty finding a comfortable sleeping position this hasn't stopped her from being Mary. She just got back from a weekend in Chicago with some girlfriends from college. They participated in a pub crawl in downtown Chicago in which all the "crawlers" were dressed as Santa Claus or some variation on the red and white outfit. She said it was a blast even though it was below freezing and she only had cranberry juice to keep her warm. I'm sure Mary's compatriots were able to make up for Mary's abstinence from drinking. Right now Mary is studying for a final exam in her nursing program. She'll be done with the program in June and will most likely stay on at Ohio State's Cancer hospital. I'll try to take some photos of Mary and her "pooch" and post them here so people can see how beautiful a big belly can be.
On to me, I finished with my teaching license this summer and am now licensed to teach English, grades 7 -12. I'm currently working as the Specific Learning Disability Tutor at an urban Columbus Public High School. While I would much rather have found a classroom position, this is the next best thing until I find a school that needs an English teacher. Some of you in other states, say NC or AZ, may be amazed to hear that it is difficult to find a teaching position. Ohio, central Ohio specifically, has too many teachers for too few spots and not enough funding to decrease the student to teacher ratio. A series of layoffs in Columbus' two biggest school districts has increased the number of licensed teachers looking for work. So, all said, I'm fortunate to not have to substitute and that I have a full-time position. I have about 22 students who qualify for extra tutoring in all of the subjects. Of those about 15 show up regularly to my room for help areas as diverse as "The Odyssey" to Radical Inequalities to Binary Compounds. Needless to say I've been re-learning a lot of subject material that I thought I had left behind at Wooster High School. Outside of work I spend most of my time with one Louis Adolph Weiss. And now, without further ado, on to the star of this blog...
Louis is growing! We have a height chart on our bathroom door. In the last two months he has grown almost 2 inches. He is really figuring out the language he hears all around him. His two colors of choice are "wed" (red) and "ellow" (yellow) although pretty much everything is "ellow" at this point. He has been able to spend the past two weekends around my parents so "Opa" and "Oma" are frequent topics of conversation. Louis goes to a wonderful daycare center three days a week and has developed quite a crew of friends. Asia, a curly haired spit fire is probably Louis' most talked about friend. When I ask him about school he just replies "A'zah." Other friends are "Iummm" (Liam), "Am-mer" (Amber), and "Ayk" (Jake). I walked into Louis' class the other day to find Louis and Liam trading punches and giggling. Honestly, just like my friends and I used to do in high school. Louis was smack Liam in the shoulder, they would pause and start giggling. Then Liam, in turn, would hit Louis and they would giggle again. Fortunately, I was assured this was the first time they had played the punch game. Louis, as some of the videos here show, loves to dance. The daycare teachers tell us that he is the first one up to dance when music comes on and loves to try to follow along with the teachers' moves. At home he has become very skilled at opening the CD player and putting in different CDs. Fleetwood Mac has been a recent favorite. He will put on the CD, run over to us and say "Dada up", "Mommy up" while trying to pull us up by our fingers. Then its dance time and we try to follow his lead which is not as easy as it sounds. He can get pretty low to the ground. While we've been visiting my parents he has fallen in love with and old 45 record of my Dad's, The Royal Guardsmen's, Snoopy vs. The Red Baron. He begs his Opa to put the record on and then goes into this enthusiastic little jig with his and arms and legs flailing about.
That about does it with updates. I'll try to get some holiday photos up over the next few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home