Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Baozi

I'm stuffed.

Mary and I went over to our friend's, Zheng and Hao, house tonight for dinner. Having lived in China for several years, Mary and I were thrilled to meet these two two years ago when we moved to Columbus. Hao, a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Beijing, is here as a researcher at Ohio State. His wife, Zheng, isn't working so she was thrilled to find a couple of Ohioans who could speak a little Chinese. Now, two years later, her English is great! She uses "cool" and "you guys" like a native.

Tonight we made baozi. Baozi
During my two years in the Peace Corps baozi were a staple of breakfast. The same with Mary, during her nearly two years in Beijing she would buy a baggy of "little baozi" and eat them on her bike as she rode to work. Baozi are steamed buns stuffed with a salty mixture of pork and vegetables. Dipped in a sauce of black vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper these little bundles of love are delicious.

We had a lot fun sitting around Zheng's kitchen table, stuffing circles of dough with the filling, and awkwardly (for Mary and me at least) trying fold each into a pretty looking package. We had fun talking about the differences in our Chinese zodiac signs; Mary is a dragon, Zheng is an ox, and I'm a tiger. Rahrrrr! Next Tuesday, February 9, is the Chinese New Year. This upcoming year will be the year of the Rooster. Cock-a-doodle-doo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home