Sunday, February 27, 2005

Accident

On this day ten years ago I returned from Vietnam on a stretcher. I was twenty years old and had been studying abroad in Ho Chi Minh City. I had only been in Vietnam for nineteen days when I was hit head on by a car while returning on a scooter from the beach town, Vung Tau. It's so amazing to think of everything that has happened during the past ten years and how fortunate I am to have experienced them all.
Vietnam traffic The program I was studying with strictly forbid its students to ride on scooters during our four-and-a-half month semester for good reason. Of course I was twenty, had hair down to my shoulders, and was invincible, just barely.
The human body is remarkably resilient. Despite all the breaks, gouges, dislocations and mental trauma, I'm in remarkably good condition today.

I'm very lucky to have lived the past ten years and can't wait for the next ten, twenty, thirty, forty, and beyond.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dolph,
Well do I remember the news of your accident and your subsequent infirmity. I must, however, take issue with your claim that your hair was "down to your shoulders." It was, in fact, roughly two feet wide on either side your head.
BSL,
Jake
PS-When's Mary's due date?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Jake,
It's called body, and I've got it in spades. I couldn't be happier reading your responses to these postings. Our little shaver is expected to arrive on March 10.
Valhalla holla,
Adam

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how fabulous that shoulder length hair would have looked with a Pengzhou perm...

So excited for you guys!
-Kate O.T.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Kitty,
A perm just ain't a perm if it's not celebrated with an impressionable student over a meal of mountain mushrooms!
Saw your Senator on the Daily Show last night. A very likable Husker.
--Adam

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home